Monday, June 20, 2011

Robot 1: "Little Jimmy"

Blog's Purpose

It has been a life-long dream of mine to build my own robots; but getting traction on actually assembling one proved difficult. Connecting wheels to motors is not as easy as it looks. Much of what is on the Web either assumed the hobbyist had a large budget, or access to machine shop. Robots can be built with C.O.T.S. (common, over-the-counter stock) if you know what to ask for (or 'Google'). Though I'm an Electronic Technician, there was a lot of mechanical terminology that I was not familiar with. It is my desire in this blog to share what I have learned and help many others succeed in building their own robot. As I build more robots, I intend to publish all circuit designs, drive trains, RC interfacing, battery charging systems and easy programming. I live in an apartment, so I also had to learn to scale down my tools and methods to work in that environment (limited space, noise concerns, thrift) so I will also detail how to work with tools and materials. Not only am I cheap, I'm a little green; recycling and scavenging wire, motors, batteries from any electronics on it's way to a landfill. Feel free to write, share your projects, ask for help.

Why Do I Build Robots?

They are neat! It stimulates my brain. Mechatronics is a synergy of mechanics, electronics, programming, art and science. This keep me studying and learning on myriad disciplines and have loads of fun at the same time.

Survey of Robotics Parts Sources
[Link]

My "Instructables" Blog (Step-by-step instructions)
[Link]

Photo Album of Building Robot 1
[Link]

 Video of "Little Jimmy's" First Steps
[Link]

Robot 1 Parts List
[Link]

Robot 1 Spec Sheet
[Link]

PICAXE Basic Code
[Link]

PICAXE Servo Receiver Motor Controller Circuit
[Link]

My other blogs and stuff (I'm interested in plant identification, nature, kayaking, sea beans, Christianity.......)
[Link]







 






No comments:

Post a Comment